Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Review: Fathering Your School Aged Child

Fathering Your School-Age Child: A Dad's Guide to the Wonder Years, 3 to 9
by Armin Brott


I initially signed-up to do this review for DH's benefit. I thought this book could be a source of valuable information for him. Don't get me wrong, he's a great Dad. It's just that he's never had kids around while he was growing up, let alone girls! So, even though he's still a big kid himself, he sometimes feels a little confused about what's going on with our 5 year old daughter.

Normally, the only thing he reads are surfer magazines or body building type books, so I was surprised that he actually took it with him on his layover. When he returned, he had nothing but great things to say about it.

  • He liked that it was written by a fellow Dad who has actually experienced what it takes to raise a child. It's written in a straight-forward, no nonsense way that I think men can relate better to.
  • He also liked the way the book was broken down into manageable parts. It was easy for him to find just the right information he was looking for.
  • The part that he liked best was the helpful suggestions the author made regarding activities that parents can do with their children. I think he was grateful for the alternatives to playing Polly Pocket.
  • The resources towards the end is an endless list of books, magazines, and websites where you can find information about almost any parenting subject you can think of. Talk about research!

However, not only does this book talk about the special relationships between a father and his kids, it also gives us mommies some great information as well. For example, did you know that tooth decay is a contagious disease? If one of your kids has tooth decay and shares a cup or straw with their sibling, the second child could also develop it as well. I did not know that!

So far I've only read up to the 5th year and decided to stop there for now. I'm already overwhelmed with Girlie Girl growing up faster than I ever imagined. When the time comes, I'll definitely continue reading.

I recommend this book to any Dad with a child ages 3 to 9. You will find a wealth of information written in a way that will keep your interest. Let's face it, kids are truly a mystery.

For more information about this book or where to purchase a copy, please click here. Thank you to the The Parent Bloggers Network for this great review opportunity.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

JewelsHud said...

Kailani

I'm sorry to post this way but I am wondering if your email is blocking me. I responded to the contest I won immediately but you didn't get it and now I got a 2nd email and I responded. Did you get it? Thought I'd better try to reach you. It was the KooKoo Bear Kids Contest.

Julie